11.23.2007

Booklet Progress: Project 1 Pattern Completed

I thought this time around I would give you a bit more "inside" my head details, esp since I am still keeping the yarn a secret. With every project in the booklet, I went through an internal interview with myself while swatching and writing, here's that conversation:

Project 1: Flowery Shawl
Pattern Complete, Sample in progress

1. Why did you choose this project for your booklet? Keeping a balance of projects in the "magazine" was really important to me. Shawls and crochet go hand in hand, since you can make such beautiful lace with crochet. I could have done a ton of shawls, but instead I chose just one that I have wanted to do for a while now. The shawl is made from granny flower motifs that use my favorite technique of joining motifs as you crochet.

2. What drew you to this crochet stitch/ square? I first spotted this motif in my Japanese stitch guide, and honestly it was one of the first motifs I noticed and swatched. The first swatch you can see below. I think the main draw was the clusters. I really like how the clusters sit and look like a daisy.

3. Did you modify the stitch/ pattern? I loved the motif, but since it was circular I knew I had a bit of work to do to connect them in a pretty pattern. You can see my first attempt below, which was fine; but I thought the chain spaces would be a bit wimpy. So I ended up changing the edging to a sc, and changing the overall shape more to a snowflake. You can see that above.

4. What inspired the color choice? While swatching for the booklet I thought different color centers would be cute, but after swatching, I thought toning down the colors would look best. I don't have a picture of the actual colors yet, but I went with seashore colors. Light blues and sands. Calm and Tranquil to make the shawl great for any season.
5. What is your goal with this project? Really the only goal was to make this a fun project. Since its all granny motifs, I wanted a project that would be fun to make and easy to wear.
Stay tuned to see the sneak peek to see how the project came out.

No comments: