3.30.2012

Crochet Today Projects

In my crazy haze of work the last few months, I missed showing off 2 new projects from Crochet Today.  Both of these projects were my downtime projects to crochet while working like mad during the day (and night).

Paint by numbers dress published in Crochet Today May/ June 2012


This was a vintage redo project.  Theresa gave me the vintage photo in the magazine as inspiration, and I used it as my jumping off point.  I kept it a top down dress with simple a-line style.  You can see the progress pics I took of CJ in the dress (she's 28mths here and the dress is the 24mth size).  One funny thing of the vintage pattern vs mine is that I added 4" to the length of the skirt.  Evidently either kids 50 yrs ago where really short, or they loved super mini dresses.  The rest was a total re-invention.  I loved the raglan detail on the everyday cardi I did a few years ago, and updated it for a smaller scale.  The raglan seam has a shell surrounded by 2 post stitches to highlight it.  The rest of the body is all just grouped double crochets.  It makes increasing super easy and low hassle for you.  The dress is sized from 6-24 mths.  It is one of my favorite styles for CJ.  It can be a dress in the winter and a tunic the next fall.  I love projects that can grow with them.  I will warn you on the yarn listed though.  It can pool really easily.  So if you will use the yarn in the pattern, please use 2 balls at once to mix the variegation and avoid the pooling.  I  think it will be a knockout in a solid color, Spud and Chloe Fine would be an awesome substitute with beautiful colors.  Or if you want variegation, try Lorna's Laces Solemate.

Bright Stripes Skirt published in Crochet Today March/ April 2012

This skirt was a really fun project to crochet.  I took a crochet stitch pattern from my encyclopedia and modified it slightly.  The yarn was a breeze to crochet. Plus after the increased for the hips it was so brainless, I could crochet while watching TV or CJ running around.  I also love the easy shape of the skirt.  It could definitely be a wearable skirt all fall and winter.  Other great thing is that this one could have a cheap acrylic yarn substituted and then it would be washable.  I am all for durable yarn in skirts so they are everyday wear instead of special occasions.

8 comments:

Blonde said...

You're right! 50 years ago, baby girls wore very short dresses, often with a matching bloomer type of diaper cover with frills.

Kim said...

I have some 1960's crochet patterns for little girls... yes, they did wear SUPER short dresses that were more of a tunic length than a dress length! (but always with opaque tights or something underneath)

Anonymous said...

I love the litter girl's dress. The buttons on the one sleeve are a nice fashion statement. Great idea!
~B
http://www.bclskeystrokes.blogspot.com

Mary Sarah said...

I love the little girl's dress. I have 5 granddaughters ages 1 to 5. Maybe I'm bias! LOL

mustrica said...

This is beautiful!

H.Elkhatib said...

please I want to buy this pattern

Hela said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Hela said...

Is it possible to buy the pattern for Paint-by-Number Dress? I love it but can not get the Crochet Today magazine :-( Help me please.