5.28.2013

Book Review: The New Tunisian Crochet

Lorelei Pullover by Dora Ohrenstein
Book Review:

The New Tunisian Crochet: Contemporary Designs from Time-Honored Traditions by Dora Ohrenstein

I have quite the soft spot for Tunisian Crochet.  I often find myself musing with a Tunisian hook when I am not working.  There is just something so rhythmic and calming in the technique.

When Dora told me about her new book, I got very excited.  So far there has been a number of books with simple projects or stitch dictionaries, but nothing really that has modern projects of the next level.  Meaning something more then just Tunisian Simple or Knit Stitch in a sweater.  Her new book goes beyond all that.  Now don't get me wrong, I love stitch dictionaries- but I have been dying to see a publisher take a chance on really going beyond that.

Najmee Rug by Dora Ohrenstein
Dora walks crocheters through Tunisian's history and basic stitches and tools.  Then she moves you into more challenging stitches of lace and cables.  Once you have those ideas down there is a mini stitch dictionary you can test out on swatches.  Then finally 11 projects that use the more advanced techniques the book describes in modern projects.  You can see all the projects over at Ravelry.

What I really love about the book is of course the charts.  Every project or stitch has a chart with it that can guide you through where to stitch your hook.  Since Tunisian can be very linear, the charts are really helpful because they literally point to where you insert your hook.  This comes really in handy with lace, cables, and shaping.

This book is smart and really something you will want on your bookshelf.  I can totally see myself going back to it and checking to see how Dora conquered a shaping or lace stitch.  I highly recommend you check it out.

Now if books are not quite your thing, you need to check out Dora's new DVD workshop, Tunisian Crochet with Dora Ohrenstein.  She takes all the many many lessons from her book and teaches them to you.  What is not to love about seeing the stitches made and explained right in front of you?  I know first hand from teaching my own Tunisian classes, that you can't get through all the information she includes in your normal class.  But through the DVD workshop, she can move you through so much more in a shorter time.  Bonus is you can stop and review as often as you need to really see and understand each technique.  Dora is a vocal coach and teacher, and you can tell on her teaching style.  Her delivery and teaching style will draw you in and really make the more advanced ideas seem easy.  (Which they are once you see them)  I really encourage you to check it out!

No comments: