8.06.2012

Gauging the Hooks


Brands can change the gauge.
Originally uploaded by rchach

I am test running a bunch of Tunisian hooks side by side and the biggest thing that surprises me is the gauge results.

The yarn is all Cascade 220 Superwash, and the stitch pattern is the same. The hook size is all K/10.5 (6.5mm). The hook brands are all different.

The blue swatch is Crochet Master Plus, the pink Knitters Pride, the gray Denise. Amazing how different, each are at least 1/4" in width off from each other.  Each are a different material, Denise is plastic, KP is wood, CMP is aluminum (with wood tip), and Tulip (not pictured) is bamboo.   I have more to share with you soon (as soon as I can get through a few deadlines). Very interesting though so far.

7 comments:

Voie de Vie said...

Love this! I wonder if there are slight differences in the size of each hook. You know, a rose is a rose is a rose - not. :)

Way Out Wear said...

That's just crazy isn't it? And I find it's harder to use the size gauges on crochet hooks than knitting needles, don't you?

Hindustanka said...

I have recently bought two hooks made in Russia. Before that I had all japaneses ones, I guess they might have difference.
Thanks for posting a good thought.

Chain Stitch Crochet said...

Even though the yarn is the same the gauge can change within the same skein, nevermind a different skein. I'm surprised you haven't seen that yourself as much as you crochet. I get very frustrated sometimes because you can actually see it in the finished product.

Unknown said...

You're right..quite a lot about the hook changes the guage and each is a little different.
I've got a swatching experiment of my own going on over at www.crochethappy.com (yes, that's a shameless plug of my own website). I've been hooking squares w/different branded H size hooks and, believe me, no two are the same!

Marie/Underground Crafter said...

This is true of "regular" crochet hooks, too. When I'm working on a long term project, I always write down the brand and size of hook I'm using so I can pick up the right one after a break.

i'm still here said...

I love that u posted this... I was just chatting today about this and recently I picked up two wood tunisian hooks at an estate sale... Both say they are size 13 but they are obviously two different sizes...

Guess its a mixed bag but I can't resist the old wood hooks!