7.20.2012

Tips from the designers

While traveling to conventions and conferences, I get to spend a lot of time with other designers and yarn people.  I always come back with random tips for all sorts of things.  Sure, a lot have to do with yarn, but more then you would think have to do with anything from gardening, cooking, beauty, parenting, and dogs.  You name it, I am like a sponge taking everyone up on their other passions.

This summer I thought it would be fun to share a few of the tips with you.  I know I am always super nosy to find out more about my favorite designers and I thought you would as well.  Summertime is the perfect time to have a bit of fun and take a peek into a designer's real life.  I can tell you everyone's little tips have just put a smile on my face when they work at home for me.  Nothing too serious here, just little fun tidbits, from some of my favorite designers.

This past TNNA, I got to room with Kristin Omdahl.  Kristin and I have been friends for a while, but never really get a chance to talk at the conferences.  She is an incredibly busy woman!  And honestly, I truly admire how professional and poised she is at these conventions.  She is always inspiring me in her knitting and crochet designs, but she inspires me just as much in all her business savy too.

Rooming together was a blast.  We got tons of time to chat about traveling, parenting, and more.  Just like two girlfriends love to do in the wee hours.  One random (of many) tips she gave me was this perfume, Pacifica Solid Perfume .  Now, if you are anything like me (constantly allergic to perfume), you probably want to just ignore this.  But don't.  Seriously, I have more allergies then I could list, but her little beauty trick is awesome.  Kristin carries these solid wax perfumes in her bag (they are no bigger then a lip balm), and whenever you need a bit in a pinch its right there.  I don't wear perfume since spraying it always leaves me coughing and red eyed.  But this perfume, didn't; since it is not a spray but just a wax.  You just rub a touch on your finger and you are set.  As a mom, I can't tell you what a relief that was!  I feel like I am constantly battling  looking like me and looking like a tired mommy.  This little pick me up at least does not make me smell like a toddler mom!  It comes in a ton of scents.  I bought a couple (they are only 5$) to test out which ones didn't bother my allergies, and found a couple that are perfect.  Nothing like a little refresher to go battle a toddler over and over again.

Speaking of tips... I totally forgot.  Kristin has a new You Tube channel with a ton of knitting and crocheting tips.  You have to check it out.  The tips are great and her warmth puts you right at ease.

Hope you enjoy, and if you see Kristin in person at Stitches you can thank her from me!

1 comment:

HarmonyMetis said...

I have been trying to find a couple of patterns from Knit & Crochet Now episode #205. I have given up on Brett's flowered Granny Square of the week, I wrote her, the show, etc....w/ no response. BUT, I cannot give up on the Mosaic Crochet footstool cover you demonstrated, I really want to try that. Again, I have tried emailing & posting over & over again, & searched the web repeatedly w/ no luck. This is my last hope.
harmonymetis@gmail.com