5.10.2010

Swatch Artwork

Got some swatches that you don't know what to do with?



Why not turn them into some artwork?



I have had these planned for CJ's room from before she was born. Of course, it took me months to get to it. I think they came out great for her room, even though they will only be hanging for 2 months before we leave.


They are really simple too. Here's how I did it in case you were wondering:


Gather: canvases, spray paint, translucent paper or fabric, spray mount adhesive, stapler, scissors, swatches



Step 1: Paint canvases with bright bold color. Let dry. If you use spray paint it dries really quickly and you can go to step 2 all in one afternoon.








Step 2: Spray adhesive to canvas. Place paper or fabric on canvas. Fold around all edges. Staple corner edges down to back of canvas to secure.








Step 3: Pick out which swatches you want to use. Spray canvas with adhesive and mount swatch.

Hang and enjoy!

Easy right. And they are really cute when they are done. Can't beat that!

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Those are really cute!

Unknown said...

That is an AWESOME idea. Can't wait to try it!

Unknown said...

That's a great idea. Way better than using my swatches as a coaster. I mean really? How many more crocheted coasters does one need?

considerthelillies said...

i love that idea! I will have to give it a go!

Mary Sarah said...

What a great idea!

Anonymous said...

This is a really good idea. Thanks for the sharing this project.

SAM said...

Great idea! Why didn't I ever think of spray adhesive when attaching my freeform to canvas? Thanks for the tip.

Yarndancer said...

Those are beautiful!! What a fab idea!

Unknown said...

Thanks for the idea and instructions. I have been wanting to do something like this but wasn't sure how to go about it.

jmo said...

OOOH. Those are fantastic! I have one suggestion though.. when spraying to adhere your swatch to the canvas? Spray your swatch, not the canvas. That way, if there is overspray, you don't get sticky patches all over the canvas that don't get covered with lovely swatches. Absolutely beautiful though. Where did you get the translucent patterned paper?? Love it!

Jayna (JJCrochet) said...

These are fantastic! I never know what to do with my leftover scraps, but this would be the perfect project. Perhaps for my new apartment next year... hmmm. Thanks for the tutorial!

Aimee Penned In said...

Super cute idea! I have leftover granny squares that I was thinking of making into a purse, but I'm now leaning towards your clever solution. :)