2.29.2008

Booklet Progress: Project 12 Complete

Whew! What a week.* The new booklet is all packed up and on its way to the yarn company. Next week the patterns will be resting in the technical editors hands. And Mark and I will be taking a little spring break to Phoenix next weekend. Crazy to think that I got so much done in one week, I'm pretty much beaming! But back to the project, today...


Project 12: Toys


Pattern and Sample Complete

1. Why did you choose this project for your booklet?
In tying up the booklet, I wanted one non-garment/accessory pattern. I didn't want a blanket or a pillow, I thought that would be too much of a stretch from the other projects. So I settled on a toy, I thought that would go well with the other baby clothes. Plus toys are natural to crochet, since its so easy to sculpt them from yarn.

2. What was your inspiration for this project? I actually channeled my youngest nephew, Henry, for this project. I have wanted to do something for him for a long time, but never came across something I knew he would like. He loves most things with wheels or goes with wheels; cars, trucks, keys, trains. The riding mower is one of his all time favorites. He "helps" his dad all the time with mowing. But with crochet toy patterns, there are a plethora of animals, but not many at all of cars or trucks. So it seemed like a perfect match.

3. Did any of the project change while you were writing?
My main problem was with the mechanics of the truck. Should the wheels move? Should the cab be able to rotate? What decoration goes on a truck? So I asked the expert, my nephew. I based the design on a Hess truck and embroidered on all the bits that he suggested. He was a fantastic source of design. And the mechanics I decided to let you decide. If you want wheels to move, add an axle- if not, sew them on to the truck. Easy. His next request was for a gas station. Of course- b.c trucks need gas to go- so smart!

4. What is your goal with this project?
My main goal is that if Henry liked it, it was a hit. I knew other toddlers and their crocheters would love it to. When I emailed my sister a picture, their immediate reaction was to call me up and ask to come over right away to play. Can't beat that! (too bad that involves a plane trip and not just a walk down the street)


-------------------------------------------------------------------------


*What a week in deed! I had to send out all the projects for the booklet this week, send out two for a magazine, one of which I had to crochet (it took 3 days- I'm still amazed it is done), our pipe to the main sewer line got a obstruction so our basement is disgusting (and the garbage men refused to pick up most of the wreckage- so that was sitting outside in the front lawn), the car got sideswiped outside the house, the hubbie was sick for almost a week, and I had a big deadline at my day job. So needless to say, I'm ready for happy hour! Actually so many things happened this week, that Mark and I just kept laughing. It was just so funny to us that things kept happening.

Needless to say, I will be slowing down this spring. I have only one sweater design on my list left to write for another magazine. Then the rest of the month will be crocheting for a secret project, that will not be nearly as stressful as this month. Its odd to have two books finished and to let myself have a breather for a bit. Funny though, I'm not really tired which is a really good thing I guess. I can't wait to see what pops out my sleeve next. This Spring will have a number of crochet announcements that I can't wait to share!

1 comment:

Pam said...

Good for you, hard = success. Enjoy spring break to Phoenix and much deserved happy hour! -Pam