10.07.2014

Learn to Crochet Sweater's at Annie's Attic

3 months how is that possible?  I won't go into all that has been going on in this post, but lets just say, quiet blog means I have been busy!  You know, the secret kind of busy that only months later you get to talk about.  LIKE...... my new class over at Annie's Attic

Last week, Learn to Crochet Sweaters went live on their site. I couldn't be more thrilled.  I have been wanting to share about this class for a long time.  I have been holding on to these sweaters for months now, and I am thrilled I can finally share.

The project had simple enough goals.  Annie's asked me to teach a class about how to crochet your first sweater.  Of course, my crazy brain at the time was in the middle of designing the most complex stitch pattern sweaters I have made yet, and the grinding of the brakes I am sure was heard far and wide in my house. Honestly, I stink at designing beginner level things.  I think because I just don't like beginner anything.  Whenever I have learned something new (like my current beading obsession (separate post soon enough)) I always gravitate to whatever has caught my eye, not the skill level.  Usually I don't go for super complex anything, I like to look at something and try to imagine reverse engineering it.  If it sticks in my mind that long, then its time to learn the skills to make it.

So with that idea of wanting sweaters that are not complex and not the typical beginner boxes, I chose to go middle of the road.  Sweaters that each teach one or two crochet techniques while we chat about the construction of each style.

For Example:

Andi Lace Raglan
We start the class working on the Andi Lace Raglan.  It is a classically constructed sweater made from 4 panels (one for each arm, back and front).  This first sweater we talk about shaping, since that is the number one thing  (besides gauge and blocking) that can be scary.  The sweater is symmetrical, so once you get the shaping for one side you have learned it for both.  The lace stitch pattern is really a simple repeat made just from a few chains and single crochets. We talk about how crochet symbols really can break down working on shaping and give a clear picture of what you do next. We also jump right into seaming and why it does not have to be such a challenge to join your panels together.   The pattern is written for 6 sizes, 35 inches (small) 38 inches (medium), 41 1/2 inches (large), 44 1/2 inches (X-large), 47 1/2 inches (2X-large), 51 inches (3X-large).  It uses Nazli Gelin Garden Size 5 cotton thread, which is a wonderfully soft and enjoyable thread to crochet.

Add caption



Ruby Pullover
We next move to the Ruby Pullover.  This sweater is a top down sweater, one of the most fun to crochet since you can literally try it on as you go.  The stitch pattern I tried to make as simple as possible with rounds of double and treble crochet between round of single crochet.  The one twist was we will be placing the single crochets in the middle bar (not either of the top two loops), which makes that ridge that runs horizontally on the sweater.  Since the stitches are really quite simple once you see where to place your hook, we talk about how you can modify the sweater to fit you even more.  (Like longer torso or more open neckline)  The pattern is written for 6 sizes, 31 1/2 inches (X-small), 34 1/2 inches (small), 37 1/2 inches (medium), 40 3/4 inches (large), 43 3/4 inches (X-large), 47 inches (2X-large).  The yarn is another favorite of mine, Berroco Vintage, a very affordable wool blend.




Brooklyn Motif Tunic
The last sweater and style we look at is the Brooklyn Motif Tunic.  It is a motif tunic that once we learn the motif, we basically have totally mastered the pattern.  The ribbing is simply single crochet in the backloop and the cowl is extended single crochet (easily you can sub in hdc here).  Both which are so quick to learn, I had to toss in how you can modify the sweater.  Motifs are one of my favorite construction methods since it is the closest to building blocks.  We talk in class how you can quite easily turn this into a cardigan, vest, t-shirt and more.  All with just playing with the layout of the motifs.  It is super fun, and very addicting I will warn you!  The pattern is written in 6 sizes, 31 inches (X-small) 34 inches (small), 38 inches (medium), 40 inches (large), 44 inches (X-large), 50 inches (2X-large).  The yarn is Universal Yarn Uptown DK, which is an acrylic that with blocking looks so luxurious. 



Besides introducing you to the 3 sweater constructions, we discuss fit, gauge, and blocking.  I know that sounds boring, but I try my best to explain why they are so critical when making a sweater.  One thing you will notice that these sweaters require very minimal finishing, and I don't go totally crazy in explaining customization. That is on purpose, these sweaters are just a step into making sweaters.  Styles that look great on most silhouette and really do not need a ton of customizing.  But when you are ready to move up, I suggest looking at my book, Blueprint Crochet Sweaters, or Crochet Sweater Studio, or Finishing Techniques Master class.  This Annie's class is my prequel (so to speak) to those classes and patterns. That said, I still think there is a lot to love in the class.  I tried to toss in a bunch of fun tips to make any project you choose the best for you.

Hope you enjoy!


1 comment:

Myrian said...

Hi Robyn,
I got the Annie's class and I am currently watching it. I like to watch it all the way though and then get into make the project. Love it so far, you explain and show everything and make it sound easy so as you really want to try it. I got some yarn and will be starting one of the projects, can't decide which one yet.
If you are ever in NYC please let the NYC Crochet Guild know we would love to have a workshop with you.
Thank you for a great class.
Myrian Primera