7.21.2016

Vintage Crochet Magazine


I'm a COVER girl!

Vintage Crochet, Filet Cocoon Sweater
This week I got back one of my favorite designs. Its a filet shawl that is connected at the ends to form a cocoon sweater.  The design is very easy with the hardest part just following the chart.  I loved making mine.  I made one just for myself while the real one was with the publisher for a year.  I literally wear mine all the time, there hasn't been a conference or festival that I have't worn it to in the last year.  It goes with everything in my crazy opinion! Huge thank you to my friend, Jessica, who whipped this model up in no time flat for Interweave to use!

The filet panel is loosely based on William Morris's Strawberry Thief fabric.  William Morris is one of my favorite designers from the Arts and Crafts Movement I am a total history nerd.  I minored in Architectural History.  Minor geek out that I got to design something combining my love of crochet and history!

The yarn is Kristin Omdahl's Be So Sporty.  It is just heavenly to wear.  If you haven't tried it, it is totally worth it.  I can't wear animal fibers, and her bamboo is just wonderful.   I was crazy thrilled at the last TNNA (our yarn industry convention) to see that Marcy (editor of Interweave Crochet) made one for herself!  When a crazy busy editor takes the time to make one for herself, that is a GIANT compliment!  THEN, Kristin told me she was making one for herself!   I nearly died with joy.  If you make one, PLEASE let me know I would love to see your version!  BTW, Kristin has a kit of the sweater if you are interested.  OH!  And Kristin is hosting a CAL of the sweater starting Aug 1.  I can't wait!

The Pattern is part of  Interweave's Special Issue: Vintage Crochet.  I haven't gotten my copy yet, but I am so excited for it!  I love reading Piecework, and I can't wait to dive into this one.  It should be in stores soon, so be sure to check it out.  You can see all the projects over on Ravelry.   I am so grateful to be included in the issue.  Piecework is one of my favorite magazines, combining my love of crafts and history.  Hope you love the issue as much as I know I will!

Vintage Crochet, Filet Cocoon Sweater
Neat how the filet design pops out on solid colors.
 I wear mine with everything, whether its a white t-shirt above,
or a crazy patterned tunic similar to the dress the model is wearing.  
I am wearing the exact sample the model is wearing.
  It really does fit a LARGE range of sizes.
 Pattern says it fits a 34" bust,
mine is much much much larger then that and it looks great. 

Vintage Crochet, Filet Cocoon Sweater

4 comments:

lizzie b said...

I love this BUT it only goes to a 42" bust & I'm a 52"! I was wondering if it can be enlarged cause I would love to make/have this?

Thanks.
Liz

Robyn said...

I'm a 42" bust and the small version (the one on the model) fits me happily. There is a TON o f leeway in the sizing. They are very very oversized.

lizzie b said...

Thanks. I hope if fits...

Unknown said...

I want to crochet the Filet Cocoon Sweater, but can you explain to me, under the SPECIAL STITCHES directions, what is meant by the "OR" in the SPECIAL STITCHES pattern? Please clarify. How did you handle this pattern?
Thanks.
Barbara