I was asked to create a granny square skirt, and since it is way to difficult for me to do anything literal... I had to do something different. The motif is an off centered granny with log-cabin-like edging on 2 sides. Each motif is rotated before seaming together to get a mosaic-ish fabric.
Of course, in my head there are a lot more motifs. Especially since, in my head I am designing for me, which would have more motifs to go across my hips. I think if I were to make this for me, I would make the motifs smaller so there are more of them. I really like the idea of the skirt, but am not crazy with the outcome. Oh well, that happens.
I finished this in June with the help from my cousin. She crocheted 12 of the motifs; then I made the shaping ones, seamed it together, and added the edgings. I love my cousin for being so cool with helping me out. Having someone who can tag team crocheting with me is fantastic. I still get to crochet and work out the fussy bits, perfect! (a lot of times I have to get a contract crocheter to crochet the entire project, so then I pout because I didn't have the time to make it myself).
You can see more of the skirt here and the details on the yarn. (Which actually is perfect for skirts. Durable and sportweight.)