6.04.2009

Crochet Today gets a Makeover

If you haven't gotten your new Crochet Today in the mail yet, you are in for a surprise.

They did a big overhaul of the layout of the mag and of their website. There is now more information on each of the patterns in the current issue. As well as blogs from Brett and Maya, so you can get to know them better. (which you should b/c they are great!)

In this issue, Brett asked me to create a little girls top. (very appropro- since CJ is a girl, but we didn't know that then.) Flower Yoke Top is something that I have been stewing on for a while now. I think I have tossed something like it in my last dozen or so submissions to various mags. As you can see, my girls wear is more of what I would wear now if I was a little girl. (Not, what I wore then. I was a super girly girl- dresses and all. Oh how we grow up!) I like kids clothes to be easy for them to wear (rarely will you see frills on my stuff- unless its a dancing ballerina hippo costume ;) ). I also like them to be fun for the crocheter to make, so I like to mix things up a bit.

This top is crocheted from the top down. The yoke is all flower motifs crocheted together as you go. Then the body is joined directly on the motifs and crocheted in the round all the way down. To get the body to flair, I just changed my hook size a bunch of times (instead of doing any shaping.) It is definitely an easier pattern to make of mine, a bit of a stretch from my complex ones of late. Here's a couple more views of the top: 1, 2, 3 .

While checking out the projects be sure to check out Kristen's Wrap and Karen's Fish, they are my favorites in the issue.

9 comments:

Tiffany said...

I cannot wait for my copy of the magazine now! I needed something to make for my daughters and I think I have found it now.

Tracie said...

I can't wait to see it. Your top is just precious!

But it's weird, I'm still getting the old website and when I click on your more specific links it tells me that the pages cannot be found. Weird. :( I want to see the new issue! I know, you can't fix it, I just wanted to vent. :)

Robyn said...

I heard that same problem over on Ravelry, tracie. I'm using Firefox and I see them fine. Make sure there is no "www" before the crochet today. (it takes you to the old website)

Dana (*danavee*) said...

I love your little girl top... and your little girl news :)

jada said...

Very cute top, Robyn. I am amazed at anyone who designs. Good job.

Me said...

Robyn-- You are entitled to your opinion, of course, but I think your little girl's top is by far the absolute cutest pattern in the mag. I love pretty much everything you make.

Sorry to gush... Hope you enjoy nothing but the best success.

Anonymous said...

Hello Faye,

I cannot tell you how tickled I was when my most recent Crochet Today! magazine arrived. The Flower Yoke Top is to DIE for!! Thank you for working on tis pattern and thank you to Crochet Today for publishing it. The reason I am writing is I began the top last week and have run into a problem. I explained the problem to the members of my crochet group and one of the women knew how to find you. I would like to ask you some questions. Let me know how best to reach you. Thank you!

Kelley
><>

Robyn said...

Kelley, feel free to drop me an email. Click on the "about me" and it will link you to my email. I am not always super fast in responding, but I try my best.- Robyn

snarflemarfle said...

I came across this beautiful dress on another blog I like to read (http://tinyurl.com/yzxwxrk). I am in love with this little dress and know my daughter would be lovely in it! Is there anywhere I can purchase the pattern besides just getting the past issue of the magazine? Thanks!