5.22.2007

Jackpot


Jackpot
Originally uploaded by
rchach.


I love the Cincinnati Library.

You can search the catalog online. Place a hold on any book, cd, or dvd. And then tell them where you want to pick it up. There are branches 5 minutes in any direction from me, so its super convenient.

This time around, I picked up any crochet book in a quick search that was from the 80s or 40s (I was feeling punkish and classy at the same time- weird) and sort of spoke to me. I am relishing each one. And taking my time browsing through each one.




Last night I browsed through:


Vogue: Dictionary of Crochet Stitches.


I am such a sucker for a stitch guide. I just love them. Again, I found more stitch combinations that I haven't seen before and look really great. Plus, This book has a few (like 3) patterns that would actually look great today. Like the easy breezy top on the front. (The tattoo on the models back totally cracks me up)

Or this top. I like the buttons and square neck line.

I would lose the stripes, I'm just not a stripe gal. But it definitely could be worn today.

I'll let you know if I find any other gems in the other books.

3 comments:

Carol said...

Faye, I enjoy reading your posts. I think I found your blog through "granny-along" or maybe when I was just surfing for crocheting blogs. Then I saw you were in Cincinnati, so I had to stop by. I grew up in Cincinnati. I miss it sometimes.

Thanks for the post about the library. I wonder if they have that Vogue book here in VA? I will have to check it out.

Norah said...

I love that book. I've had it for years. One thing, which you probably might have noticed already, is that it uses the British names for stitches, ie. a double crochet in there is actually an American sc.

Sabra said...

I liked the book, but I found it more than a little frustrating that the stitch patterns were numbered, not named. I know it shouldn't matter, but I need names for my stitches!